WHAT IS ITC
The International Tribology Council is an international organisation of Tribology Societies, Groups and Associations. ITC is a Corresponding Member of UNESCO.
The international Tribology Council is non-commercial and non-political. Members cover all disciplines.
ITC MAIN TASKS TODAY
- Select host organisation and support the organisation of the World Tribology Congress once every fourth year,
- Communicate with tribology groups and organisations worldwide and support their efforts to form national tribology societies and join ITC,
- Act as parent organisation for Tribology Gold Medal which is awarded annually to a highly qualified tribologist; the selection process is administrated by IMechE.
ITC REORGANIZATION TASKS AND STATUS
After the ITC President Peter Jost passed away in 2016 Kenneth Holmberg, Finland, was appointed Acting Interim ITC President until 2017 when the new ITC President was elected. In 2017 a reorganization of ITC was started with the main tasks:
- Update the statutes of ITC – new statutes for ITC were approved in September 2019
- Update the contact information of all ITC member societies – main part of the contact information has been updated and is shown on the new ITC website but the work is still ongoing and corrections and updates are still requested
- Update the ITC webpage – an new webpage was launched in November 2019
- Inform the member societies about the reorganization - the ongoing work has been informed to member societies
ITC LEGAL STATUS AND CONNECTION TO PARENT ORGANISATIONS
- ITC is today an international organisation based on mutually approved agreement formulated in the ”Statutes of International Tribology Council”, 1.9.2019
- ITC has no parent organisation it reports to
- From 1996 ITC has had the UNESCO category C status of Mutual Information Relations in the UNESCO classification of international non-governmental organisations
ITC ECONOMICAL FRAME
- Secretarial office was from 1973 at IMechE in UK and was later transferred to Michael John Trust, UK
- Tribology Gold Medal is financed by The Tribology Trust Fund and the selection process administrated by IMechE
- ITC Website is administrated and updated by the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Slovenia